1. Minimize the amount of information stored on a mobile device to only what is needed for work during the holidays.
2. Update software and install patches immediately. Research2 has shown that 82% of discovered breaches occurred due to a failure to update software patches.
3. Be alert when working remotely in a coffee shop, airport lounge or bus. Put work away or change seats if anyone acts suspiciously.
4. Do not post holiday travel plans or any identifying information on social media websites.
5. Never leave mobile devices unattended in public or visible in a locked vehicle.
6. Avoid sharing electronic devices with family, friends and other visitors. Lock when they are not being used. Keep sensitive and confidential papers in a secure place too.
7. Strengthen passwords on all devices and accounts (long string of characters, incorporating numerals, letters, and symbols). Over 80% of hacking-related breaches leveraged either stolen and/or weak passwords.3